Friday, December 19, 2008

the rescripted home of the carrier pigeon

I remember learning about the carrier pigeon when I was in kindergarten (which just happens to be one of the most memorable times of my life). Mrs. Brown knew about all kinds of interesting and unusual things (like the Easter Bunny, but that's another story for another time), and the carrier pigeon was one of the best! I thought it to be so mysterious how a bird could leave his home, travel many miles away, and return - all without the use of a Tom Tom. You might say the little creatures were the first to invent overnight mail - and Fedex thought it was their idea! The delivery of messages (called pigeon posts) during WW I and II was largely the job of the carrier pigeon. I wonder if any soldiers ever sent a love note via pigeon express? Messages were written on thin paper - sometimes papers used for rolling cigarettes were used - then banded to the foot of the pigeon. The pigeons were transported in barns such as these and while they have retired from their days of being the first messenger service, they are sometimes still used in the sport of racing.




We recently discovered this vintage pigeon barn on a old porch along the Tennessee River in West Tennessee. It brought back so many memories from Mrs. Brown's class. Made of zinc, the piece has a wonderful aged patina. I haven't seen one of these in years, and on the way home my mind was swirling with all kinds of ways to "rescript" the home of the carrier pigeon into my own home. It was very simple in fact, we cut some boughs from a couple of pine trees, pulled some grapevine from the fence down the road, added a couple of early 20th century cement pigeons from a collection that I have - for warmth and charm we threw in a few candles in vintage tin tart cups - sprinkled in a little snow for the season - and in a matter of minutes we had a fabulous redesign for the holidays! Later it can become a great sculptural piece on a table.


If you're digging this pigeon barn as much as we do, it's available for sale on our website - rescripted and don't forget to check our blog update on Monday night - our Christmas tree is a must see!!!!

1 comment:

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

I kinda fell in love with that milliner table on your site. I have been looking (quasi) for a long low table for our Living room.

Yep...In LOVE.